Following is an extract from the publication:

‘Where the mountains meet the sea: a history of Austinmer Uniting Church: the Village Chapel serving the community’, Margaret L. Fletcher

LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE

From The Chronicles of the Methodist Church of Australia, Bulli Circuit:

December the 3rd 1921 was a great day for Austinmer Methodists, when the foundation stone of the new Church in Moore Street was pronounced well and truly laid by Mrs P. N. Slade, of Lindfield. Mrs Wheatley presented Mrs Slade with a trowel of chaste design. On the motion of Rev. W. W. Danks, seconded by Mr H. E. Young, a hearty vote of thanks was accorded to Mrs Slade. Despite the unpromising state of the weather, a goodly company gathered to take part in the ceremony. The Chairman of the Illawarra District, Rev. T. Jenkin, had charge of the proceedings, and was assisted by the Circuit Minister, Rev. W. W. Danks. The Chairman delivered an appropriate address on the aims and ideals of the Methodist Church. At the close of the service the friends were invited to place their offerings, towards the building fund, on the stone. About 114 pounds was received which, added to what had already been collected, helped to make the burden of the Trustees lighter. The sum of 850 pounds is being expended in the erection of the church. Although they had been hindered by bad weather, and through other causes, the contractors were far enough advanced with their work to be able to keep their promise to have the church ready for the opening on Saturday, the 7th of January, next, when Rev. Dr. C. J. Prescott, of Newington College, will conduct the opening ceremony.


 In 1922 Rev. Leslie L. Bird was appointed to the Circuit. The Ladies Church Aid was formed early in the life of the church, the prime movers being Mesdames Young, Triglone and Hudson. Other stalwarts who led the work of the church over those early years were Mr and Mrs H. E. Young, Mr and Mrs J. W. Kitto, Mesdames Pettit, Longstaff, and Austin, and Misses Northwood and Gibson.

Austinmer grew as a favoured seaside holiday resort and the church became the place of worship for visitors.


 The earliest recorded marriage held at the Austinmer Methodist Church was performed by the officiating minister, Rev. F. E. Blyth, on 28 August 1926. The groom was Mr Walter Angus Liddell, 25, Bachelor, Watchmaker of Marrickville, Sydney. The bride was Miss Hilda Cox, 25, Spinster, Home Duties, daughter of Samuel Cox, Grocer of Austinmer and Ruth Seagar. Hilda was born in Blanwick, Staffordshire, England.


 Mr and Mrs WillisMr and Mrs W. J. Willis moved to Austinmer in the early 1930s and the family attended the Austinmer Methodist Church, but there was no Sunday School operating there. In 1934, after a closure of three years, the Austinmer Methodist Sunday School was reopened, with Mrs Anne Gertrude Willis as the new superintendent. Mr Willis was a Trustee and served as the Church Steward at the Sunday evening services.

In 1940, Mr and Mrs Willis bought the guesthouse Glen Ara, which had been built in 1908, on the corner of Oceana Parade and the Main Road, and continued to operate it as a guesthouse. 


ChurchWithNewFence

THE MEMORIAL BRICK FENCE AND GATES

Mr and Mrs Meggitt and their son John, desired to fund the construction of a brick wall along the whole of the frontage of the church propertywith double iron gates, the gate posts to be surmounted by electric lights and a tablet to be provided, in memory of their son Flight Lieutenant Ivor Henry Meggitt, who had served in the Air Force in England, and who gave his life in the Service of the Empire. The Trust was greatly impressed by this most generous offer and thankfully accepted the proffered gift with gratitude. Mrs Willis kindly consented that her previous gift of five pounds be applied to the general improvement of the entrance. An appeal would be made to our people to celebrate Peace by donating funds for the new path and other improvements.

The Treasurer announced that almost 43 pounds had been raised in the property Improvement Appeal; and a contractor had been found, who would construct the brick fence, gates, lights etc., which would be financed by the Meggitt family. The contractor would also construct the path for a further 20 pounds.


AN INVITATION TO THE CONGREGATION (1952)

At the conclusion of the Austinmer Methodist Church’s service on Sunday night, members of the congregation enjoyed a cup of tea, with community singing.

Mesdames Willard and Nelson were the hostesses, and Miss Marjorie Bray, of Maroubra, was the soloist. It is the intention of the church to continue these pleasant evenings each Sunday night, and all will be welcomed after the evening service.


OPENING AND DEDICATION CEREMONY OF THE SUNDAY SCHOOL HALL

ChurchHallPalque

On 3rd December 1955 the Chairman of the District, Rev. Alfred A. T. Robens, presided at the Opening and Dedication of the new Sunday School Hall and Kindergarten Room; together with our Circuit Minister, Rev. C. P. Viney. After short addresses, prayer and hymn, the Trust Secretary, Mr R. E. Glastonbury, thanked all those who had worked so hard to raise the funds, particularly the untiring efforts of the Ladies, and the Builder, Mr Matt Daisley. He then handed the keys to Rev. F. Trafford Walker, who officially opened the new additions.


SundaySchoolKids 1958See if you can match these names with this group of Sunday School children in 1958. Ruth Burnett, Beryl Gill, Geoffrey Greenhalgh, Anthea Craig,Robert Burnett, Warren Grant, Anthony Luck, Sue Nelson, Wayne Foreman, Margaret Greenhalgh, Neroli Mason, Rhonda Meagher, Susan Grant, Lorraine Dunne, Mark Foreman, Janice Willis, Barbara Meagher, Susan Dunne, Bronwyn Burnett, Lyn Foreman, and Rodney Nelson.


From the Illawarra Mercury 20th December 1961:

CHURCH REBUILT

Austinmer Methodist Church, built 40 years ago, has just been modernized at a cost of almost £800. The installation, this week, of £400 worth of new pews, marks the end of an 18-month programme of repairs and alterations to the church. One of the features of the church is a novel wooden floor. Hardwoods of eight different varieties have been blended to give a striking and unusual effect. A new wall has been built in the church, and the Communion rail and platform have been replaced. A spokesman for the Austinmer Church Committee, Mr R. Willard, said the church was one of the most attractive on the South Coast. The church is built of brick. The money for the repairs and new furnishings had been raised by the members of the congregation. Mr Willard said the church had been completed for Christmas, when many visitors had come for the services. A new project would include the replacement of the glass windows.


YOUTH HALL

On Saturday 12 th January 1966, a crowd of 160 friends from Austinmer and all parts of the Circuit were present at the official opening of the Youth Hall.

ChurchHall 1961

 

 


DSC 9657 1 R H200On 20th February 1966, during a service conducted by Rev. H. C. Smith, the Illuminated Stained Glass Memorial Window was presented to the Church, by Mr John Glastonbury, and Mrs Elizabeth Sligar, in memory of their parents, who for years were actively associated with every activity of our Church.

 

 

 


 METHODIST MINISTERS SERVING IN THE BULLI CIRCUIT FROM 1919
1919-21 Wallis W. Danks
1922 Leslie L. Bird

1923 W. Arthur Burns

1924-26 Frank E. Blyth

1927-30 William Evans

1931-32 Giles T. Moore

1933-35 Percy M. Waterhouse

1936-39 William J. Bobbin

1940-43 Milford E. Southwell

1944 George Gray

1945-48 F. Trafford Walker

1949-52 Robert N. Grout

1953-56 Charles P. Viney

1957-61 Hector Garwood Ingate

1962-68 Hugh Collett Smith

1964 R. Hunter Matthews

1965-66 Selwyn John Tully

1967-68 Robert G. Pearson

1969-73 Graham Brookes

1969-72 Eric C. Hewer

1973- 77 Vernon M. James

1974- 77 John A. Robbins


UNITING CHURCH MINISTERS IN NORTHERN ILLAWARRA PARISH

1977-81
John Robbins
1977-98 Maxwell Osborne Fox

1982 Roy Hilderbrand

1982 James Bishop

1983- 86 Graeme Watkins

1984- 91Brian Harvey
1986-1990 Richard Zweck

1992-95 Laurie Gray

1993- Stephen Estherby, James Gallagher


MINISTERS OF THE AUSTINMER NEIGHBOURHOOD CHURCH
1999-2001
Max Fox
1999-2006 John Robbins

2004-2006 Robert Smith